1. 20 calories: Mushrooms have essential nutrients that are good for heart health and help boost immunity. They have fewer calories than a rice cake.
2. Flavor: Mushrooms have umami the fifth taste. They add savory flavor when paired with other foods.
3. Vitamin D: Mushrooms contain 4 percent of the daily value of vitamin D. No other fresh vegetable or fruit has vitamin D.
4. Good for you: Mushrooms’ antioxidant capacity is comparable to that of brightly colored vegetables such as tomatoes, zucchini, carrots, red peppers and broccoli.
5. Hold the burger: Data suggest if men substituted a 4-ounce grilled portabella mushroom for a 4-ounce grilled hamburger over the course of a year, they could save more than 18,000 calories and nearly 3,000 grams of fat. That’s the equivalent of 5.3 pounds, or 30 sticks of butter.
Learn more at mushroominfo.com.
Tags for this article
- are mushrooms good for you