Think Acne and Salicylic acid is the first thing that comes to the mind as a treatment option. Salicylic Acid is a rage in the skin care products market as a effective cure for acne inflammations and blemishes.
What is Salicylic Acid?
Derived from the white willow bark, Salicylic acid is a beta hydroxy acid having powerful exfoliating properties that helps to remove the top layer of the skin and thus break down blackheads and whiteheads. The use of Salicylic acid as a skin treatment dates back to the Assyrian and Egyptian civilizations. In fact, it continued through Greek civilization all the way to the present time. Apart from acne skin care, salicylic acid is also a key ingredient in skin care products for the treatment of psoriasis, calluses, corns, keratosis, pilaris and even warts.
Skin Care Benefits of Salicylic Acid
- It clears clogged skin pores and keeps a check on bacterial infestation within the pores.
- Because it is a keratolytic agent, it has antiseptic properties as well.
- It helps to scrape off dead skin cells from the skin surface that combine with dirt and debris which can lead to acne.
- When it is used in combination with other cosmetic formulas, salicylic acid is accelerates the skin renewal process by causing skin cells to slough off more readily and preventing the clogging of skin pores.
- It also helps the active ingredients to be absorbed better into the skin surface.
- It softens keratin, a skin-forming protein and helps break down dry skin.
- Salicylic acid is gentler on skin than other alpha hydroxyl acids.
- It is oil-soluble and thus has increased exfoliant qualities.
- It makes the skin soft and smooth and conditions even the roughest skin.
- Studies have also discovered that salicylic acid can be used effectively in anti-aging treatments. This is because it enhances overall skin texture and improves complexions suffering from the effects of too much sun exposure.
- It deep-cleanses the skin pores of extraneous cells as well as the top epidermal layers.
Skin Care Products with Salicylic Acid
Salicylic acid is used as a key ingredient in a wide range of skin care products like cleansers, toners, moisturizers and spot treatments.
iS Clinical Active Serum – It is a amazing serum that is specially designed to prevent premature aging and repair damaged skin. It scrapes off dead skin cells and boosts the collagen production within the skin cells. The serum contains 8% glycolic, 2% salicylic, 2% lactic and 0.5% kojic acids that make the skin smooth and toned. It also prevents the various signs of acne like pimples, blackheads and whiteheads. You will feel a cool tingling sensation immediately after application. But that is normal. It is just a hint that the serum has started working.
iS Clinical Cleansing complex – This amazing cleanser by Innovative Skincare is great for resurfacing and deep cleaning the skin. It contains salicylic acid and is anti-acneic. Though it is powerful, it can be successfully used on sensitive skin and does not leave the skin dry. It also contains antioxidants to fight free radicals.
La Roche Posay Effaclar K – It is a superior acne treatment that works well for oily and sensitive skin alike. It controls breakouts and in turn reduces blackheads and improves the skins texture. It contains LHA which is a micro exfoliatorcontians LHA that has been shown to unclog skin pores and smooth the skin texture. It is a gentle formula and can be used daily. It also contains soothing La Roche-Posay thermal spring water which soothes the skin. Apart from all this, salicylic acid is a key ingredient in Effaclar K that controls acne. The zinc helps neutralize shine and hydrates the skin. It is also non-comedogenic.
Dr. Marilynn Syrett is a graduate from Western University of Health Sciences, College of Osteopathic Medicine Of The Pacific. She has in-depth knowledge about the use and effectiveness of various skin care products and facial skin care specials.