Once confined to bodybuilders with huge muscular physiques,the benefits of weight training exercises are now gaining acceptance from men who want to bulk up their body and women who want toned muscles and stronger bones.
People who go to the gym or work out at home find it beneficial to add weight training exercises to their fitness regimen.
While fitness experts recognize the importance of cardio workouts, the consensus in physical fitness these days is to include strength training for overall fitness. Cardio workouts increase the oxygen levels in the body and helps burn fat.
However, weight training exercises are also important if you want to firm up your abdomen, thighs, arms, and hips. Cardiovascular exercises can cause your body to sag, but when accompanied by training
Benefits of Weight Training Exercises
- Improve your muscular strength and endurance– Weight training exercises will make you stronger and help your muscles work longer.
- Improve functional capacity and ability– Working out with weights will improve your coordination and balance and help you avoid injuries. For example, you’ll find it easier to climb stairs and reduce the risk of falling.
- Lower blood pressure– People who lift weights experience normal blood pressure levels.
- Prevent osteoporosis– Studies show that strength training exercises lower the risk of osteoporosis especially in women. Lifting weights will help make your bones stronger.
- Increase your resting metabolic rate– Weight training exercises help raise your metabolism. Because muscles burn more calories than fat, if you have more muscles your body will burn more calories throughout the day.
- Improve psychological well being– When you exercise, you will feel good about yourself. This will increase your confidence and self-esteem.
- Reduce lower back pain– People who exercise have less body fat and stronger core muscles. This helps minimize the risk of lower back pain.
Choosing a Weight Training Exercise Routine
For all-around physical fitness, your workout program should include exercises for cardiovascular endurance, strength training, and muscular endurance. You should also include routines to enhance your body’s flexibility.
Weight training exercises for men and women differ slightly. Women usually work out with lighter weights and lesser sets. Also, men go through training exercises to bulk up while women prefer to tone their muscles without putting on too much bulk.
You can do training exercises at home if you do not have access to a gym. When working out at home, you will need basic exercise equipment such as dumbbells, bench, resistance bands, etc. Some training exercises like leg extensions and lateral pull-ups require exercise machines that you can find in a gym. You may want to buy some exercise equipment for your home gym, or do other weight training exercises that will work out the same muscles without the use of an exercise machine.
The benefits of weight training exercises as you see are beyond just gaining a beach body and will improve your health immensely.