Eating out can present a challenge to anyone trying to lose weight. These eating out loss tips can help you to maintain your healthy eating habits even when dining out.
Avoid Fast Food
Even though fast food restaurants have been trying to improve their reputations by offering supposedly healthier and lower calorie offerings, in general you’re better off avoiding the fast food chains. There are simply too many high calorie temptations to choose from. Even many of the healthier and diet choices are not what they seem. If you do find yourself in a fast food place, however, here are some things to remember:
- Stick to small and medium sized servings of everything, including beverages.
- Watch your toppings -cheese, sour cream, even salad dressings can be high in calories.
- Avoid especially fattening offerings like milk shakes, deep fried foods and super-sized anything!
Salad Bar Strategies
Salad bars can be a treacherous destination for calorie-conscious diners. Some people let their guard down as soon as they see the word “salad,” thinking everything there must be healthy and non-fattening. This is not the case, unfortunately.
- Take a small to medium-sized plate to the salad bar and stick to one trip.
- Start off with greens -lettuce, dark green and other vegetables.
- Watch your intake of carbohydrates -breads, pastas and other starchy items.
- Use oil and vinegar for dressing, or small quantities of other dressings; many high calorie foods are hidden in dressings.
Restaurant Ordering Tips
These tips are for more formal restaurant settings, where you are seated and ordering.
- As with the salad bar, stick to oil and vinegar for dressing.
- If you have a choice between a vegetable and a carbohydrate such as pasta, go with the vegetable or salad.
- Avoid dairy-rich sauces and toppings.
- If you have dessert, stick to fruit-based items, which can be quite delicious. Avoid toppings like whipped cream and buttercream frostings.
- Don’t feel obligated to finish everything on your plate if the portions are large. Don’t be embarrassed about asking for a “doggy bag” to take with you.
The main idea is to be conscious when you are eating out. Don’t use it as an excuse to abandon your loss goals. You needn’t deprive yourself by avoiding restaurants, but you should be aware of what you’re ordering and eating.