Goal setting is an important piece of any changes that you make in your life. Whenever you get started making changes in any way I am sure that you have found that the giddiness that you feel at the beginning feels like it will keep you going as long as it takes.
After a while we all know that doubts creep in and before you know it the excitement is replaced by doubt and the things that seemed important now feel like a chore.
How To Make A Plan For Success
Well if we start every new plan by setting goals correctly we will have more than a fighting chance once the excitement fades we will have A PLAN.
Goal setting is a simple process, you decide what you want, make lists of why you want your goals as well as a list of what could stop you, make a plan decide what you will use as goal posts as you move toward the goal and finally once you reach your goal you celebrate the achievement.
Let’s try this out with a loss goal:
- Goal, to lose 30 pounds
- Why, to feel and be more healthy, prove to myself I can do anything
- What could stop me, people offering food, bad weather for workouts, tiredness
- Plan, to do cardio 3 days a week and weights2 days a week, to cut the size of my meals, to cut out all sugar except for once a day, get lots of sleep to rest from the changes and workouts
- Goal posts, lose 2 pounds per week, 30 pounds should be lost in 15 weeks, adjust diet and exercise as needed
- Celebrate, after finishing this loss get a family picture taken with me in new clothes
This goal setting system is almost fool proof, the only thing that you should add if you can is a partner and someone that you can talk to about your progress, a spouse maybe or a personal trainer if it is a exercise goal.
Now go forward and make some goals! One more thing that I learned from listening to Tony Robbins is that when you do make a goal don’t leave the site of a goal without taking an action towards it’s attainment.