How to Lift Weights Properly for Strength Training
Ever wonder how to lift weights properly?
Lifting weights is the best way to build muscle mass, gain strength, and improve your physique.
However, strength training puts a lot of stress and pressure on your body especially when you begin working with heavy weights.
Regardless of whether you are lifting heavy or lighter weights, it is vital to do so correctly. Before doing any strength training exercise, it is important to learn how to lift weights properly.
Always warm up before you begin your strength training exercises.
Walking or jogging on a treadmill is a good way to limber up your muscles to avoid injury. There should always be a gym instructor or fitness professional present when you exercise.
A gym instructor or trainer can show you how to do each exercise properly, what equipment to use, and how to use it.
How to Lift Weights Properly
Knowing how to lift weights properly will reduce the risk of injury and provide a more effective workout.
The following tips are very important to follow when doing strength training exercises:
- Choose a weight that allows you to perform 12 to 15 repetitions when you start out. Add more weights as you gain strength.
- Control the weight and lift slowly from the original position. Return to the starting position slowly. Although you may be tempted to do so, do not allow the weight to drop quickly to the starting position. The downward motion is just as important as the upward motion. Both are necessary parts of lifting and will work your muscles in both directions.
- When lifting weight, use your muscles to complete the motion and not momentum. Do not arch your back or rock your body to get the weights up. If you have to swing your body to lift weights, you may be trying to lift too much weight. Reduce the load and learn how to lift weights properly.
- Move the weights through the full range of motion for the exercise. You should feel your muscles stretching and contracting fully with each repetition.
- Don’t forget to breathe continuously while lifting. As you lift the weight, exhale through your mouth. Inhale through your nose as you lower the weight. A lot of people hold their breath during their set. This is a dangerous practice as it can cause your blood pressure to spike.
- Use a spotter when doing exercises where you may accidentally drop a barbell or dumbbell on yourself. Part of knowing how to lift weights properly includes making sure there’s another person close by to monitor you when you are working with free weights. You’ll be able to push yourself harder if you have a spotter who can help make sure you do not injure yourself as you make that final rep.
You always have to remember to be careful, mindful and focussed when lifting weights properly. Strength training can transform your body when done right.
1 thought on “How to Lift Weights Properly for Strength Training”