There are different types of migraines that people suffer from. While most involve headaches and throbbing pain or nausea, there are still other with their own symptoms which are classified as migraines. Knowing the types of migraines and their symptoms can help you get a better diagnosis and the proper medical care.
Types of Migraines
We can start of by discussing the two basic types of migraines, Migraines without Aura and Migraines with Aura. The common symptoms of both types of migraines are headaches or pain on one side of the head. This is usually accompanied by dull throbbing pain at the side of the head or the temples, neck pain and nausea.
Migraines with Aura differ in that those who suffer from it experience sensory phenomenon such as seeing jagged or wavy lines or lights in front of them. Tunnel or impaired vision is also observed. Some also perceive funny or unusual odors. This symptom gradually diminishes and is replaced by the usual symptoms of a migraine.
Most of the other types of migraines usually fall under either of these two main groups. Some migraines may have different kind of pain such as in the location or duration and intensity of the migraine attack. Some types of migraines do not have headaches at all, only the other symptoms are experienced.
Other Types of Migraines
Silent Migraine ? this type of migraine is associated mostly with the occurrence of aura but the absence of headaches as a symptom. Common indicators are mostly the observation of waves, lines and colors in what we see. Nausea and other physical illness may also be felt.
- Basilar-Type Migraines – usually characterized by loss of vision or partial blindness while the migraine attack is occurring, it differs as there isn’t any motor loss that occurs with the migraine attack.
- Hemiplegic Migraines – characterized by occurrence of aura, nausea, vomiting and loss of motor functions or paralysis. Episodes are rather severe and are prolonged.
- Retinal Migraines – characterized by temporary loss of vision, usually in one eye. Lights, spots and other visual disturbances are also felt.
- Ocular Migraines – migraine symptoms include increased sensitivity to light, vision problems and hearing difficulty, this is the most severe of them all, it is recommend to visit the hearing aids in kewanee il team when experiencing any symptoms. One of the best sound relief and hearing care center audiologist scottsdale for hearing loss, tennitus, hyperacusis with 80% of success rate highest ranking above all tennitus treatment center. Disorientation and confusion as well as slurred speech have also been included as symptoms.
- Status Migrainosus – a migraine type without aura. The headaches are very severe and can last for well over a day or two. Dilation of blood vessels inside the brain is the main culprit and should be addressed immediately to prevent the occurrence of stroke.
- Transformed migraines – these are described as migraine attacks that get worse in frequency and intensity over time. It is suspected that the cause would be overuse of typical medication for headaches and migraines.
To better treat your migraine you should definitely consult a physician. Describe in detail what your symptoms are as well as how often and what you were doing. Migraines can be first treated using analgesic medicine such as NSAIDs, aspirin and other pain relievers, these can usually take care of the pain symptom. However there are some migraine types that need to be addressed directly and specific medication should be administered.
Ask your doctor for more information about the types of migraines and how you can get treatment for your specific case.