Krill Oil Supplement for me
I have switched, maybe temporarily from Omega 3-6-9 pills once a day to Krill Oil capsules instead. I have heard a little bit about Krill oil and after having looked around it seems like it may be a good supplement in exchange for my Omega fish oil pills but only time will tell.
Benefits of Omega Vitamins
Omega vitamins are very good for us as they help out, or are credited with helping out with lots of things, my wife just calls them heart pills but they are so much more. Most of the time Omega vitamins are associated to fish oil as this is the best source of Omegas. Here are some notes from a Wikipedia page on Fish oil:
- Cancer – Several studies report possible anti-cancer effects of n-3 fatty acids found in fish oil
- Cardiovascular – A 2008 meta-study by the Canadian Medical Association Journal found fish oil supplementation did not demonstrate any preventative benefit to cardiac patients with ventricular arrhythmias
- Mental health – Studies published in 2004 and 2009 have suggested that the n-3 EPA may reduce the risk of depression and suicide.
- Alzheimer’s disease – According to a study from Louisiana State University in September 2005, Docosahexaenoic acid, an omega-3 fatty acid often found in fish oil, may help protect the brain from cognitive problems associated with Alzheimer’s disease.
- Lupus – In a Northern Ireland study, lupus disease activity, especially in the skin and joints, was significantly reduced in patients who received fish oil supplements at both 12-week and 24-week follow-up periods versus patients who received placebo.
- Parkinson’s disease – A study examining whether omega-3 exerts neuroprotective action in Parkinson’s disease found that it did exhibit a protective effect in mice.
- Depression – Several methodologically rigorous studies have reported statistically significant positive effects in the treatment of depressed patients
- Psoriasis – Diets supplemented with cod liver oil have shown beneficial effects on psoriasis.
- Pregnancy – Omega-3 protect against fetal brain injury and promotes fetal and infant brain health. Some studies reported better psycho motor development at 30 months of age in infants whose mothers received fish oil supplements for the first four months of lactation.
I have been taking these pills for years and have never had any of the side effects such as stomach upset or fishy breath smell.
Krill Oil compared to Fish Oil
Krill oil is a fairly new and kind of expensive replacement for Regular fish oil for Omega Vitamins. I found Krill Oil pills at my local Costco but I think any vitamin store carries them these days but not every supermarket like we find Fish Oil at.
A study conducted by McGill University compared the two on cholesterol help. Daily doses of krill oil are significantly more effective in the treatment of hyperlipidemia (blood fat levels) than the same daily dose of fish oil. Also, the unique molecular composition of krill oil is much more diverse in active ingredients and because of that is more beneficial in the reduction of risk for cardiovascular disease.
Also there is the fact that because of the molecular composition of the Ktill Oil it is easier for you body to digest and use then fish oil is.
This increasingly popular supplement is chock-full of vitamins and minerals that are important to them in body. Along with the DHA and EPA which help with cholesterol, heart disease and blood sugar there is a significant amount of vitamins A, D and E.
There are also two very strong antioxidants that help the supplement maintain its benefits. Both canthaxanthin as well as astaxanthin can be found in Krill Oil. Both of these antioxidants have been known to help a variety of different mechanisms within the human body including the central nervous system and the brain.
Price as a Krill Oil downside
You may have looked at the price of Fish Oil pills (also known as Omega 3-6-9) in the grocery store and seen that it is quite cheap. The same can not be said for Krill Oil. This was the first time that I saw and bought Krill Oil but it was about $19.00 for 120 pills and you are supposed to take 2-4 pills a day, this is why I say it may be temporary as Krill Oil may break my vitamin pill budget.