Many non-smokers are interested in learning how to help someone quit smoking. If you have a friend or relative who smokes, you may not realize how hard it is for them to give up this habit.
Even though the smoker knows how harmful smoking is, wanting to quit and being able to quit are two entirely different matters.
Tips to Help Someone Quit Smoking
You may have already quit smoking yourself, but that doesn’t mean that you can advise another smoker.
Each person has their own reasons for smoking and faces different challenges in overcoming the habit.
A smoking cessation method that worked for you will not necessarily work for someone else.
Figuring out how to help someone quit smoking requires you to be patient and understanding.
Offer compassion, and remember that you can never completely know what the smoker is experiencing.
It’s not particularly helpful to tell someone that you understand how they feel.
Such statements can even be perceived as patronizing. Every smoker’s experience is unique, just as every person is unique.
Here are some suggestions for you if you want to help someone quit smoking
1) Don’t expect the smoker to quit cold turkey
2) Encourage even the smallest steps to cut back smoking
3) Tell them that you have confidence in their ability to quit
4) If you go to a restaurant or bar together, sit in the non-smoking area
5) Encourage them to take up an exercise program — and then exercise with the smoker
6) Acknowledge their efforts to quit and give them positive reinforcement such as praise and hugs
7) Don’t tell them that you know how they feel
8) Be available if they want to talk about what they are going through
9) Help them find other activities to fill the moments during the day when they would normally smoke
10) Ask the smoker what kind of support they need from you
|So what if it is really that easy? What if all your beliefs about how hard it is going to be to quit are completely false? What if, after just one session of hypnotherapy or NLP you find it incredibly easy to become and remain a happy, confident non-smoker for life? The reason why hypnotherapy & NLP are so successful is because both our beliefs about smoking and our habitual smoking behaviours reside within your unconscious mind. So whilst consciously we may wish to quit, all too often our all powerful unconscious mind simply would not let us.Check out Quit Smoking Today now.|
Stopping smoking is often a frustrating and painful task. The smoker truly needs all the support and encouragement they can get during this experience, in order to quit successfully.
Even if the smoker relapses, you can continue to encourage them to try again. Maybe suggest they try one of those vaporizer starter kits instead of a ful blown cigarette next time they crave to the craving. It has helped many people change their habits.
Supporting your friends, relatives, and co-workers in their bid to stop smoking is very considerate on your part.
As everyone knows, smoking is a deadly habit that is fiendishly hard to quit.
Your support might be the deciding factor that helps the smoker give up smoking permanently.