When it comes to weight, dieters tend to focus on how they look and their self-esteem. But the core reason to lose weight should be to have a better quality of life and live longer.
It’s no surprise to hear that obese people have shorter life spans. Television, newspaper, magazines and even our own doctors warn, “Lose weight or die younger than you should.” That excess weight causes many health issues such as diabetes, heart disease and kidney disease.
Difference Between Knowing and Doing
Of course hearing these warnings and doing something about them can be miles apart. Many dieters who watch medical reports on the nightly news tend to block out the warnings that extra pounds can lead to cancer, diabetes, stroke, heart attacks, and many other killers. Who wants to hear dire warnings when there is leftover chocolate cake in the kitchen? How foolish dieters are not to recognize the ramifications of excess weight.
According to the National Institutes of Health, obesity and overweight together are the second leading cause of preventable death in the United States close behind tobacco use. An estimated 300,000 deaths per year are due to the obesity epidemic.
Weight is measured by body mass index (BMI): which measures weight-to-height.
BMI greater than or equal to 25 is overweight
BMI greater than or equal to 30 is obesity.
Getting healthier with just a 10 pound weight loss
There’s no question that losing extra pounds can make a significant difference in one’s health. Even a 10 pounds weight loss can help overweight people. Adults who drop from obese to overweight, or from overweight to normal can reduce their health risks.
Here’s what 10 less pounds can do for you
- It can lower LDL cholesterol (bad cholesterol) by more than 10%
- It can reduce blood pressure and protects heart and kidneys
- Result in a 50% risk reduction for heart attacks
- Can help sleep apnea patients widen their windpipe and allow air to flow better
- A 10 pound weight loss over 10 years may result in as much as a 50% decrease in the odds of developing osteoarthritis (knees and joints)
- It can reduce the levels of carcinogenic hormones (cancers)
- Reduces the chance of getting diabetes by 60%
Weight loss can also help with:
- Prevention of angina, chest pain caused by decreased oxygen to the heart
- Sleeping better
- Less pain associated with arthritis, joint disease, and lower back pain
- Decreasing risk for colon and breast cancer
- A healthier gallbladder
- Increasing energy levels; improved mobility
Decreasing the risk of sudden death from heart disease or stroke